Monday 13 April 2009

Treadmill disconnects ADSL!!


I have recently bought a treadmill. Every time me turned it on, the adsl router would disconnect from the internet.
I verified that myself.
First I thought it's the noise the PWM motor derives to mains line. I could see some spikes with oscilloscope from 12V power supply when running the machine so I was pretty sure it was the case. I fed the ADSL modem/router with 12volt battery instead of 12V supply- but treadmill still disconnects the broadband so the line wasn't the issue.
I figured out that it has to be RF noise which is induced to telephone line hence distracting the ADSL.

I resolved the problem by plugging the treadmill in to a "Belkin PureAV" surge protector. Apparently, its "Power Filter Technology (PFT) isolates contamination to prevent AC and EMI/RFI power distortions". Whatever, it resolved the problem perfectly. Obviously, you would need the correct (voltage) version of this product for your country.

No comments: